Despite the email medium being replaced by newer messaging Despite the email medium being replaced by newer messaging systems on social media and better communications technology like video chatting, email marketing remains one of the best and most efficient marketing strategies available to digital marketers. It's relatively easy to manage, it has a straightforward goal, and overall, it's one of the highest-ROI marketing strategies in existence, with some estimates as high as 400 percent.
However, as any email marketer will tell you, email still offers its share of headaches. Fortunately, there are tons of tricks and hacks you can use to make your job as an email marketer easier.
Common email marketing problems
These are some of the biggest problems that email marketers face.
- Generating new ideas. To keep your campaign running and your subscribers interested, you need to keep coming up with new ideas, whether that's new sales and discounts or new content to offer. This gets increasingly challenging and exhausting as time progresses.
- Making technology work for you. Most marketers use some technological email platform to design and send emails, but orchestrating that platform, especially in conjunction with others, is challenging.
- Easily and accurately measuring results. You need to measure your results to gauge your effectiveness and make improvements, but how can you know if your data is accurate or if your conclusions are correct?
- Maximizing efficiency. Sometimes, the biggest problem is getting everything done in a reasonable time frame. Efficiency is key to increasing profitability.
Life hacks for email marketers
So what can you do to start solving these problems?
- Find the right integrations. First, make sure you're using an email platform that supports integrations with other apps, and use the right apps in conjunction with it. For example, MailChimp is a fairly intuitive email platform that offers integrations with tons of third-party systems. Learning how to stitch together these apps and use them in harmony with one another is critical if you want your technology to work for you, gather more reliable data, and spare yourself some logistical headaches down the road.
- Establish a routine for finding new ideas. It may seem counterintuitive, but one of the best ways to reliably generate new ideas is to establish a routine. Every day, you should go through some brainstorming or information collection process that helps you capture and/or cultivate new perspectives on what your campaign could offer. For example, you might read the news, touch base with a peer, go through your competitor's list, and then brainstorm with your team on an ongoing cycle. It will help you keep a stream of ideas flowing so you never run out.
- Rely on data visualization. Data visualization is the future of data analysis; it's basically a way to translate numbers and statistical points into more simplified, intuitive visual projections. You'll be looking at bar graphs and colored charts instead of numerical tables. At a glance, you'll be able to come up with more accurate conclusions than you would studying mathematical projections for hours.
- Collect feedback often. Get as much feedback as you can from as many places as you can. Ask your team what they think of your latest campaigns. Ask your supervisors or bosses what they think you could be doing differently. Most importantly, ask your subscribers what they'd like to see in future editions of your newsletter. You don't have to take all this advice, but you need to hear it to guide your strategy and help you understand your effectiveness.
- Pick the right team and stay in contact. It's hard to run an email campaign by yourself, so make sure you have good teammates on your side who are willing to help you out. Remain in contact with them regularly to facilitate more brainstorming opportunities and pursue faster feedback, and be sure you contact other departments to get a broader perspective on your company's operations and goals.
- Keep a close eye on the competition. Finally, be sure to keep a close eye on your competitors, as well as anybody who's succeeding in email marketing. The best way to learn is with an example, and the more diverse your group of examples are, the more powerful your campaign will be. This will help you come up with new ideas, stay on top of the latest trends, and find better ways to differentiate yourself in the crowd ; all with one simple action.
With these hacks on your side, you'll have an easier time generating ideas, your technology will function more smoothly, you'll have a better way to gather and read results, and you'll improve your overall efficiency. All in all, your email campaigns will be less problematic and more profitable, and you'll be able to rest easier in your position.