Here are nine Google Docs add-ons that we found useful and easy to use when writing, editing and sharing documents.
The Lucidchart uses HTML5 to insert and create charts, diagrams, mind maps and more easily and quickly. Users can choose from hundreds of shapes and designs and even drag and drop their own images into a diagram or chart.
Custom templates can be made for shared use across organisations too, making this an excellent tool for startups creating a uniform business style.
AppSheets is an add-on available in Google Docs that can put your data into a readable app. Here's how:
- Create a document template with placeholders for input fields.
- Launch the AppSheet add-on from your add-ons menu.
- Click "prepare" and then "launch" within the AppSheet sidebar. This will take you to www.appsheet.com in a new browser tab.
- If this is the first time you are using AppSheet, you will be prompted to sign in to AppSheet with Google and provide the necessary permissions.
- Voila, you have a mobile app via AppSheet! You can capture data via your mobile app. Each recorded entry results in an email with the data results merged into a copy of the document template.
- From this starting point, choose to modify and enhance your app using the many features in the AppSheet platform. Explore advanced features such as image, scanner and signature capture, as well as rich display of the form responses via maps, image galleries, and charts. (Taken from AppSheet)
This social add-on enables users to save Tweets and search, filter and curate them. Searches can centre on hashtags, @mentions and general search terms.
To enable this add-on, just login to Twitter and allow the add-on to connect.
This add-on is helpful for writing academic papers, but can also be handy if you want to maintain a neat list of your sources when doing research for other kinds of writing. EasyBib does the exacting task of formatting bibliography entries: Enter a book, journal article, or website into its search box, then choose MLA, APA or Chicago style, and press "Add bibliography to doc" to insert the citation.